Monday, February 10, 2014

Best cookbooks for the imaginative chef

I love cooking but I hate recipes. Recipes to me are nothing but lists of complicated ingredients followed by several steps of careful measurements of weight, temperature, and viscosity concluded with “until tender.” I’ve never owned a kitchen scale or a kitchen thermometer. I have no idea what the recipe authors mean by “until golden brown” and whether they would agree with each other on what the perfect “golden brown” is if they were in the same kitchen.

I also have to admit to never following a recipe precisely due to my ego. Following someone else’s recipe doesn’t have any grandeur to it. Like any chef, I want to make my special mark on the dish. Sometimes that means substituting a spice, sometimes that means hovering over the pan and stirring when I’m not supposed to. This either has the effect of creating a new flavor, or completely ruining the meal.

My favorite moments learning how to cook have always come not from cookbooks, but from cooking with others. Drinking beer with a friend and flinging garlic, onion, cumin, curry, ginger, and tamarind into a pot taught me several Indian dishes. Standing side by side with my mom and watching her create meals by intuition, unable to quantify any single step along the way. Get-togethers with my hippie friends taught me how to handle exotic vegetables without any exotic spices.

This is what I want out of cookbooks. The feel of another, more knowledgeable, human being chatting with you and sharing their knowledge as opposed to a set of strict instructions that yield only one type of meal. Though I’m an avid collector of cookbooks (if nothing else, for the pictures), it took me a long time to find the few cookbooks that could deliver just that.





The Tassajara Cookbook by Edward Espe Brown was precisely that. The author doesn’t believe in recipes, but rather shares how different grains, vegetables, and fruits behave in different situations. He doesn’t just tell you to salt the cucumber salad, he explains what happens when you add salt to lettuce and cucumbers and how it affects the flavor. It’s the perfect holistic approach to foods. This cookbook has the comfortable feel of standing side by side with someone else in the kitchen because Edward includes stories of potlucks, cultural legends, and (best of all) times when he ruined a recipe and how he was able to salvage the dish. This cookbook is a great book for beginner cooks and seasoned chefs alike.

The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz.  As the title suggests, this hefty tome deals with fermenting. It includes pickling (cucumbers, kimchi, sauerkraut, tomatoes, garlic), beer, yogurt, buttermilk, cheese, grains, wine, beans, etc. The first few chapters explain how fermenting  works and why you should try it. You will learn about good bacteria and how to keep it alive in your fermented products while killing the bad bacteria. You will also learn the simplest way to make your own pickles in a week (needed: jar, water, salt, cucumbers).  Much like the Tassajara Cookbook, this guide to fermenting doesn’t include specific recipes as much as basic guidelines which you can interpret in different ways to create your very own product in the end.

Bottom line – I will never stop buying standard cookbooks with beautiful pictures and sets of draconian instructions or subscribing to Vegetarian Times because they provide inspiration. But I vow to make every meal my own and never follow a recipe precisely. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment